Thursday, December 3, 2009

Exhaust Work

Well I talked to Exhaust Plus in West Salem and they said that they won't be able to make the 90 degree bend that comes off my headers. My headers end and then a second piece of pipe makes a 90 degree instantly. They said they can't bend anything like that and that they can only do 2.25 inch pipe, not 2.5 inch.

I talked to a good friend of mine that works at a place called Race Fab. It is right next to Nutbush City Limits (about a mile away from Dairy Queen). He said a guy there does extreme custom work. Apparently he does hot rods that will become show vehicles. This means that everything is a really tight fit and has to look seamless. He also said that the guy buys pre-bent sections and cuts them to whatever angle is needed. It also turns out that a guy my dad works with, who currently has a show car at this guys shop for the exhaust, recommended him also. He too said to buy pre-bent sections of pipe.

I measure last night and I think I'm going to need 2 90 degree bends and 1 45 degree bend. Along with that, I'll need roughly 14ft of additional straight stainless steel tubing. A 14ft piece will cost me $140. Basically I'll need 3 sections that are 2ft long and 2 sections that are 4ft long with 2 slight bends in them. They need to step up about 1.5 inches. The pipes will look like a Z that is extremely stretched out. Hopefully the guy can make these simple bends.

As for the tailpipes, I can buy both of them pre-bent. The only thing is that they come straight out the back underneath the bumper. I want them to come out behind the rear wheels in the corners of the bumper at a 45 degree. Hopefully the guy can bend these to the desired angle. I'm also worried about the pipes clearing my spare tire, shocks, and hitch. The company says they should clear the spare tire as long as it is the stock size, which it is.

I just ordered a few parts of the system last night

Here are my costs so far:

MagnaFlow 99006HM 2.5inch inlet/outlet StainlessSteel Catalytic converter - $82.25 x2
MagnaFlow 11226 2.5inch inlet/outlet StainlessSteel Muffler - $68.03 x2
MagnaFlow 35143 2.5inch inlet/3.5inch outlet StainlessSteel Exhaust Tip - $34.06 x2

All from Amazon.com. Total so far: $368.68.

No comments: